Obama Failed To Nail It

Why does Obama so disrespect his white heritage by subjecting it to abuse by a person like Jeremiah Wright? This is what disappoints more than anything about Obama. Not because white heritage is some precious thing that needs protection, but because it reveals that Obama's paeans about racial harmony and unity were nothing more than a series of opportunistic lies.

This is also disappointing:

I can no more disown [Jeremiah Wright] than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love.

Is Obama saying that he must accept Jeremiah Wright because Wright is part and parcel with the black community? Well, the KKK is part of the white community I suppose . . . that doesn't mean I am going to run out and attend a cross burning. No one forced Obama to attend Wright's church; obviously the church had huge appeal to Obama. Unfortunately, that church is founded on black racism, and so one must conclude that black racism also appeals to Obama. Many are saying that Obama does not need to agree with everything his pastor says. Well it appears that nearly everything his pastor says is tainted with overt racism, crazy conspiracy theories, or glee over the catastrophes that hit America. It doesn't seem like Wright ever says much that isn't controversial. And there sat Obama for twenty years, lapping it all up.

It is hard to think of a speech that could undo the harm Wright has done to Obama's image. Whatever that speech could have been, the one delivered by Obama in Philadelphia yesterday morning wasn't it. It merely teased out more hypocrisies and raised more questions.

No comments: